Thursday, January 12, 2006



Alan's first post (thanks to Madzia for showing me her city!):

In my mind, the prime attraction of Poznan is it's fantastic multimedia history show, 'Makieta Dawnego Poznania', including flashy lights and fires-made-out-of-coloured-handkerchiefs-and-a-wind-machine (http://www.makieta.poznan.pl/). The commentary is available in several European languages, though, as the ladies selling the tickets told us, the German version is hardly ever requested. We weren't very surpised about this after we'd seen the show, as the commentary was so anti-German that its German version might as well have been called 'wszystko przez Was'.

You also get to dress up at the Makieta!

Another interesting place in Poznan: the former synagogue, aka the swimming pool.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

As I recall, the Swedes have a thing or two to answer for in Poznan as well. They were obviously very proud of their "city ravaged by fire" effect.....

Thanks for the excellent Poznan postcards! Have you read any Malgorzata Musierowicz?

Anonymous said...

It's my teenage love! I've read all she's ever written, apart from the last part of "Jeżycjada" - which you aready know, as I was told :) Did you like it?

My favourite is "Kwiat Kalafiora", and I generally prefer the earlier ones, taking place during PRL times(like "Opium w rosole" which is in a more less veiled way all about Stan Wojenny). From the more recent I most liked "Kalamburka" because it's about life of Mila Borejko, so not a teenager any more, and about Poznań itslef - the narrative goes from 2004 back to 1939 through all focal points of the town's history. It's worth reading.

Any suggestions about british contemporary litarature?

:)

Anonymous said...

I recommend Kate Atkinson. I really liked Case Histories, Emotionally Weird, and Behind The Scenes at the Museum. Sarah Waters is also really good, but she writes historical novels, so they don't tell you much about contemporary Britain.